Sunday, November 10, 2013

cottage room makeover


We spent the past week at the cottage. My husband did some hunting and I did some illustration and together we both tackled painting a bedroom. It took about 5 days to complete the project. There's a lot of prep involved when painting old paneling -- but totally worry every minute spent. I would have taken some before photos but I didn't. I always forget to take them because I'm so excited to get into my project. Anyway, at our family cottage we have a lot of paneling. Most of the paneling is wood paneling but in the upstairs it's not a natural color and over time it has yellowed and needed a little update. It hasn't been changed since it was built in the early 70's so I think it's about time for a change, don't you?


(This dresser will be refinished soon & artwork on this wall too.)

This room is the smallest bedroom in the cottage and since we have never painted there yet I thought we should start with the smallest room to see how it would turn out. At some point the red carpeting will be replaced and I'll be working on refinishing some of the furniture in the room (hopefully this Summer) as well as adding some more art work and decorative touches.


I painted this bedside sconce black and found a small black shade to fit. It used to be brass and wood with a burlap weave looking shade in brown with gold trim.

I painted these two framed embroidery projects glossy white done by my husband's Grandma many years ago. The frames were a light gray and the update sure has freshened them up. I think they look great and almost kinda modern especially since handmade work like this is so hip again.


My Mom crochets animals so I asked her to make us a baby owl.
She surprised us with the momma and baby. I think they look so cute perched on the bed.


(New gray and white lamp from Target - match the new curtains and bedding)


(Vase & flower from IKEA)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails